Monday, May 16, 2011

Professional Log #10

Cortese, J. (2011, April).  Tweens have a place to call their own at SBPL.  Retrieved from April 25, 2011, from http://southbrunswick.patch.com/articles/tweens-have-a-place-to-call-their-own-at-the-sbpl.

The South Brunswick Public Library has created a great program where tweens and other age readers can come into the library and find a program for their age and books for them to read.  I especially like that they created a new reading area specifically for tweens.  I think creating reading corners for different age ranges helps the children feel more at home in the library than the old fashioned chairs and sofas.  The pictures in the article show that they have added color to their library with different color stools and carpets.  I also like how the signage around the library is readable from a good distance.  I also like the use of posters and character stands that attract tweens to an area.  This library is set up in a way that would attract tweens.

I also liked the amount of activities that they listed in the article.  I would never have thought of doing a culinary class in a library.  I now see how a culinary class could tie into the books being read, such as reading a book about the first Thanksgiving and then cooking the same meal that was served.  The one activity that I would add to this wonderful program would be movie nights for those books that have been made into movies.  After the movie is over the tweens could discuss what they saw that was different from the book and movie.  If the group was advanced, they might be able to discuss why the movie did or did not follow the book well enough.  I know that this is one of the events my public library does at least once every two months usually more during the summer to support our summer reading program.  I really enjoyed reading about this library.  

No comments:

Post a Comment