Monday, May 16, 2011

Professional Log #7

(2011).  ThisIsTeen.  Retrieved May 1, 2011, from http://www.facebook.com/thisisteen?sk=info.

This page was created in 2011 for Facebook.  The company actually has its own under the same name.  The first thing I noticed on the page is the splash of color.  Under the profile picture there are links to Featured Books, Book Finder, and SCVNGR.  The Featured Books section contains the book of the moment with a brief review of the book and some examples of other books that someone might like to read.  I found that this was a nice tool, but that it lacked the ability to see past Featured Books.  Once you click on a book it would give more details about the book title, author, and a button to buy the book.  The Book Finder page takes you to a page which leads the person through several questions before selecting a book.  The SCVNGR page is a game where tweens and teens participate in challenges, earn points, and earn rewards. 

I think that this page is a great resource for everyone to use from teachers to librarians to tweens.  The only problem is it is on Facebook, so teachers and librarians may not have a password to sign in for full access.  I found that the Book Finder was very useful.  The books that were selected for me were a variety according to the preferences that I selected.  The SCVNGR page opens into a new window for the user.  I believe tweens and teens will enjoy this fun activity.  Overall, I would use this website as a resource for books.

No comments:

Post a Comment